Web Working Group
The Web Working Group (WWG) aims to monitor, discuss and act on web technologies and business solutions that are important to mobile operators. The Group works with web standardisation bodies, members of the W3C (World Wide Web Consortium) and IETF (Internet Engineering Task Force) to ensure operator technologies and standards remain compatible with operator interest. WWG will enable GSMA members to discuss, investigate and resolve issues relating to technological advancement and business opportunities on mobile.
The following work items are currently being worked on by the Web Working Group:
- Encryption on Internet – (developing network management solutions of encrypted traffic, working with standard bodies on new internet protocols for the benefits of mobile operators)
- Web Real Time Communication (WebRTC) – (developing operators IMS services integration, leveraging the latest web-based technologies)
- Education on emerging web technologies – (manage relationships with Web technology Standard Definition Organisations, such as W3C and IETF. Monitoring new technological development and supporting the GSMA programmes)
What the Web Working Group Does
The Web Working Group is focused on the following technical and business objectives:
- Identify web technology, assess its potential impact on operator services and develop solutions when required
- Encourage operators to provide technical inputs for Standard Definition Organisations and provide a forum for these requirements
- Investigate methods to improve consumer experience and latency
- Close the gap between HTML5 web and native applications
- Provide guidance for operators on commercial rollout and adoption of web based technologies and services
- Investigate new business models, enabling concepts, technologies best practices and information sharing
- Identity operators’ product needs for leveraging the web ecosystem and develop possible cross operators’ common interoperable solutions via proof of concepts and demos
The Web Working Group provides a forum for consensus building among all GSMA membership categories in relation to support and advice on the promotion, implementation and adoption of web technologies and related services.
The Web Working Group have face to face meetings and are held three times a year, with conference calls used to progress work between physical meetings
How to Get Involved
If you would like more information on any of the Web Working Group activities please contact – WebWG@gsma.com. If you are interested in contributing and joining the Web Working Group then please contact Membership@gsma.com to become a GSMA Member. Communications including liaison statements (from external bodies) should be sent to WebWG@gsma.com.