- MetroPCS and Jibe Mobile to Open Rich Communications Services to All North American Wireless Subscribers.
- Deutsche Telekom launches joyn Messaging Service.
- Enhancing the mobile experience for customers: Zain to pilot ‘joyn’ platform.
- Neusoft Mobile Solutions receives Silver Award from GSMA joyn Innovation Challenge.
- joyn location push API a key enabler for location-based services – Read the blog of Solaiemes and watch the demo!
- New research from Acision reveals 79% of US consumers are now using multi-service messaging but there is a unique opportunity for carriers to offer richer services.
- Openmind Networks Hosted RCS Solution Receives Seal of Approval from the GSMA. First European Vendor to be awarded full Accreditation Status..
- joyn by Jibe Honored for Outstanding Global Mobile Cloud Network Innovation.
- Voxeo pioneers use of joyn in B2C comms using Solaiemes’ RCS API Gateway.
- Kineto Wireless teams with NewPace to allow Operators to try RCS for free.
- Have you heard about the joyn hackathon in Berlin? 18-20 October 2013.
- Sprint, AT&T inch toward RCS-based joyn launches.
- RCS hub launched as a globally available service by Neusoft!
- NewPace Continues Messaging Platform Innovation – full support for the GSMA ‘Blackbird’ release.
- NewNet Partners with NewPace To Power Krypton RCS Messaging Products.
- Jibe Speaks ‘Cloud First Approach’ for Carriers to Introduce Competitive RCS-based Messaging.
- GSMA and GCF align accreditations of RCS devices.
- Claro Brasil provides free access to joyn.
- Wit-Software RCS Highlights.
- Summit Tech – 100 Little Big Things on RCS Plus.
- Solaiemes offering an RCS Advertising Platform to help carriers to disrupt the mobile marketing industry.
- GSMA and GCF align accreditations of RCS devices.
- Infinite Convergence Solution’s Rich Communication Suite Accredited With GSMA Certification.
- BroadSoft introduces BroadCloud RCS.
- Newpace and Solaiemes partners of the joyn Innovation Accelerator.
- Jibe Mobile lands funding to build the “Next Global Communications Network”.
- Orange France launches joyn!
- NewPace signs RCS deals with Nokia and an undisclosed European Carrier.
- Solaiemes offering an RCS Advertising Platform.
- Openmind Networks hosted RCS Solution Receives Seal of Approval from the GSMA.
- Solaiemes announces a cloud based RCS Developer Portal as a Service.
- Spanish Mobile Operators Launch Nationwide joyn Services
- Mobile Operators Show Increased Momentum in Rich Communications
- The GSMA Announces Winners of the Annual Global Mobile Awards
- Mobile Operators Plan to Make Instant Messaging, Live Video Sharing, and File transfer as Easy on the Mobile as Calling and Text
Rich Communications Services (RCS) is the platform that enables the delivery of communication experiences beyond voice and SMS, providing consumers with instant messaging or chat, live video and file sharing – across devices, on any network.
RCS marks the transition of messaging and voice capabilities from Circuit Switched technology to an all-IP* world – and it shares the same IMS investment and leverages the same IMS capabilities as VoLTE.
Use the opportunity to monetise
For operators, deploying RCS is a key way to ensure their service retains relevance for consumers, keeping them connected and offering them competitive solutions with alternative applications. RCS delivers the messaging service step-change the consumer is seeking, while enabling the continuation of operator-centric messaging services. The scope and variety offered by RCS is a route to developing more targeted, engaging customer propositions – for example via chat-based games, mobile learning, smart ads and promotions – all helping to drive ‘stickiness’ and revenue.
The gateway to innovation, RCS offers an opportunity to expand core product and services while building upon the unique operator propositions of:
- Global interoperability
- Quality of Service assurance
- Security and Privacy management
- Trusted Service provider
By enabling operators to generate new revenue streams through the creation of apps and B2B services, RCS can be a route to getting a return on IMS investment from the very start.
RCS Hosted Solutions are also available for fast implementation and “pay as you grow” costs without the need to purchase and install IMS equipment in an operator’s infrastructure. Hosted Solutions enable an operator to deploy RCS as a stand-alone set of services in advance of LTE, VoLTE and HD Voice services.
Questions from Operators
Please click on an operator question that you would like answered. This will take you to a link allowing you to hear the GSMA’s response.
Can you tell me more about the business benefits that RCS offers operators?
Can you tell me about the success stories achieved to date?
How big a part does RCS play in the future communications strategy? Why should operators consider implementing Rich Communications within their networks?
How is the GSMA helping with RCS adoption?
What RCS services are currently available and what are their specifications?
What are some of the value propositions that are already being considered in today’s marketplace?
At a top level, what are the different implementation options for RCS?
What are the RCS operators’ imperatives for the year ahead?
Rich Communication Services Real Time Market Status
Markets committed and live
Early and Interested markets
What is the GSMA doing to help?
The GSMA has established a market-leading, interoperable RCS platform. Supported by a strong ecosystem comprising MNOs and device manufacturers, this platform is gaining momentum with 11 country launches to date and a total of 85 operators committed to launch by 2015.
Consumers can identify the presence of these RCS services through the joyn™ brand, which acts as verification that devices and services carrying the logo have been accredited.
The GSMA continues to work to extend the reach of RCS by helping our ecosystem partners develop inter- and intra-market interoperability. At present, we are working with operators who have already rolled out RCS services to explore the technical and commercial considerations of an RCS interconnect hub. Our findings have been used to establish a standard technical protocol and share best practice for implementing consistent global interoperability of RCS in an all-IP world.
*The protocols of IP network but in a managed non-public domain
joyn is a certification trade mark of the GSMA