2015 State of the Industry Report on Mobile Money now available
Mobile money has done more to extend the reach of financial services in the last decade than traditional “bricks and mortar” banking has in the last century.
Today, GSMA is releasing 2015 State of the Industry Report on Mobile Money. Now in its fifth year, this report provides stakeholders with a comprehensive quantitative assessment of the mobile money industry for unbanked and underserved people.
Mobile money is reaching more than 411 million people globally. Moreover, it is available in 85% of countries where the vast majority of the population lacks access to a formal financial institution. This is an extraordinary achievement, demonstrating the power of mobile, underpinned by the critical role mobile network operators have played in building this industry.
However, while the success to date is to be celebrated, the future success of mobile money depends on the industry’s capacity to adapt to a changing landscape. The findings from the 2015 report provide insights on both current and future trends, giving better visibility on what is changing and how to adapt. This year, we see four key trends that will impact the industry’s evolution:
- With an increasingly active customer base, further development of the mobile money ecosystem will be essential to diversify customer usage
- Operational foundations and agent management remain critical to digitise cash
- Greater investment will be key for providers to compete in an online world
- While mobile money is reaching further than ever before, there is still an opportunity to reach underserved segments, particularly women and rural consumers
This report focuses on the state of the mobile money sector and industry trends, covering:
- Availability and spread of mobile money services globally
- Access to mobile money services, including both physical access through agent networks and technical access through the mobile interface
- Adoption and customer activity levels, particularly how mobile money providers drive scale
- Usage and how the industry is focusing on usage that builds the ecosystem
- Mobile money revenues and investment
Additionally, a forthcoming analysis on the adoption of other mobile financial services: mobile insurance, mobile savings, and mobile credit, will be released in late spring 2016.
GSMA Mobile Money Infographic: International Remittances via Mobile Money – Changing Lives and Livelihoods
This infographic highlights some of the benefits of international remittances via mobile money. Download the ...Read more
This case study explores how the market context in each country influenced the rationale for A2A ...Read more
Safeguarding Mobile Money: How providers and regulators can ensure that customer funds are protected
This paper focuses on how regulators can effectively safeguard customer funds when a nonbank issues mobile ...Read more
Highlights from the Mobile Money API Hackathon: Testing harmonised mobile money APIs for the industry
Over the past year, we have worked alongside key mobile network operators, platform vendors and third parties ...Read more
Earlier this month we launched the 2016 Global Adoption Survey of Mobile Financial Services. The survey ...Read more
This post is the second in a series on smartphones and mobile money. Read the first post in the series here. ...Read more
On 28th July 2016, over 400 industry leaders, policy makers and key mobile money stakeholders convened in Dar ...Read more
GSMA has been promoting the development of a safe and responsible industry for digital financial services ...Read more