- #Tigo #Women Entrepreneurship fund was set up to recruit, train & offer women initial funding to be Tigo Cash agent… https://t.co/giPEyHEgkr https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/855422043877244928
- #Mobile-first #startups in emerging markets are tackling critical challenges: our 3 takeaways from #SeedstarsSummit… https://t.co/XoJ3i2Yll6 https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/855373067052363780
- Read the @UNBBCom #ICT4SDG recent report on closing the digital #gender gap: https://t.co/KSUlWPmxkd #M4D… https://t.co/NKBLQNARML https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/855339509445165056
- RT @AjadiSam: You need to understand how the informal economy works in #Africa to succeed in the #ecommerce space - Wale Ayeni #ATSLDN http…https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/855052370497208320
- RT @MaxBayen: Advice from @tomjackson1988 to investors:before you invest into #Africa tech #startups go there & experience the problems the…https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/855051999338999808
Call for mAgri B2P Engagement Partners: Digitising agricultural payments
Realising the opportunity of digitising payments in agricultural value chains
The digitisation of payments in agriculture is emerging as a new opportunity for mobile money service providers to drive rural growth and mobile money accounts adoption. Moving from traditional cash based agricultural payments to digital payments into the mobile wallets of smallholder farmers opens up a range of agriculture and non-agriculture related uses cases, from P2P, to bill and utility payments to credit and savings products. If you are interested in driving the adoption of mobile money in rural areas, it is time to move forward: In a recent report, the GSMA estimates that by actively approaching the digitisation opportunity in business-to-person (B2P) and government-to-person (G2P) transfers in agriculture sector, mobile money service providers could derive $2 billion and $202 million of annual revenue respectively by 2020.
This initiatives aligns with the industry’s commitment to creating solutions that will support the delivery of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) 1, 2, 5 and 9.
Overview of the mAgri B2P Engagement Partners Initiative
GSMA mAgri programme works with Mobile Network Operators (MNOs) that are committed to driving the digitisation of agricultural payments. The initiative supports operators to identify country specific opportunities for launching or scaling digital agricultural payment services. We provide a range of support, from knowledge sharing, in-market research, partnership brokering and iterative service design.
We are interested in hearing from MNOs who meet the following criteria:
- Have prioritised realisation of the agriculture B2P market opportunity
- Seek support with scaling existing or launching new agricultural digitisation services which are:
- Targeted at smallholder farmers via enterprise solutions for agri businesses
- Designed for commercially viability and scalability
Depending on the maturity of MNO agri enterprise engagements, the type of support available could include:
- Market and value chain opportunity sizing and value chain selection
- Business case assessment
- Pipeline of agribusiness clients
- Pipeline of tech vendors for partnership
- Support on customer adoption
- Regular service performance review against success criteria
- Clear roadmap for further service evolution
- Benchmarking services against peers
- Identifying gaps between client and end-user needs and your current offering
- Sharing lessons learnt from key markets through publications, case studies and webinars
To register your interest complete the survey accessible via the below link.
The first round of survey submissions will close on Friday 7 April. Please be sure to submit your survey ahead of time in order to be considered for an engagement partnership. Based on resource availability, further rounds of survey submissions may open and be accepted until the Monday 8 May.
If you are an agribusiness or tech provider and looking for an MNO partner, or have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A new opportunity is emerging for mobile money service providers to drive growth in rural areas by digitising ...Read more
The GSMA mAgri Programme is more than half way through our mNutrition Initiative where we have partnered with ...Read more
The IFFCO Kisan app is one of the pioneering mobile agriculture apps in India, offering to smallholder ...Read more
In the developing world, the availability of localised, granular weather forecasts can provide immense value ...Read more
Mobile technologies are increasingly becoming ubiquitous across the developing world: out of the 4.8 billion ...Read more
Seven years after stepping into the ‘Warm Heart of Africa’ (as Malawi is aptly promoted), I had ...Read more
The GSMA mAgri program is currently supporting six Mobile Network Operators (MNOs), two in Sub-Saharan Africa ...Read more
What comes to mind when you think of agricultural content quality, I ask you. For me, the answer is simple ...Read more
Our mAgri programme supports scalable, commercial mobile services in improving the productivity and income of ...Read more