Enriched Calling with RCS
Communication experiences beyond voice and SMS
What is enriched calling with RCS?
Rich Communications Services (RCS) is the platform that enables delivery of communication experiences, beyond voice and SMS. It provides consumers with instant messaging or chat, live video and file sharing across devices on any network.
RCS marks the transition of messaging and voice capabilities from Circuit Switched technology to an all-IP world. It shares the same IMS investment and leverages the same IMS capabilities as VoLTE and video calls over LTE.
Who is enriched calling with RCS valuable for?
- Operators; and
What are the benefits of enriched calling with RCS?
Enriched calling with RCS:
- Keeps consumers connected;
- Ensures operators’ services retain relevance for consumers;
- Offers consumers competitive solutions with alternative apps;
- Delivers the messaging service step-change the consumer is seeking;
- Enables the continuation of operator-centric messaging services;
- Enhances the call experience with innovative service offerings;
- Protects the revenue streams that operators are still receiving from voice services;
- Builds upon the unique operator propositions of: ubiquity, global interoperability, service assurance, security and privacy management and trust as a service provider;
- Offers an opportunity to expand core products and services;
- Is a route to developing more targeted, engaging customer propositions, e.g. via chat-based games, mobile learning, smart ads and promotions;
- Drives stickiness and revenue;
- Is a route to getting a return on IMS investment from the start (by enabling operators to generate new revenue streams through the creation of apps and B2B services); and
- Enables operators to quickly deploy RCS as a stand-alone set of services in advance of LTE, VoLTE and HD voice services. Operators benefit from “pay as you grow” costs, without the need to buy and install IMS equipment.
What is the GSMA doing to help in relation to enriched calling with RCS?
- Has established a market-leading, interoperable RCS platform;
- Works to extend the reach of RCS by helping our ecosystem partners develop inter and intra market interoperability;
- Works with operators who have already rolled out RCS services to explore the technical and commercial considerations of an RCS interconnect hub;
- Has established a standard technical protocol; and
- Shares best practice for implementing consistent global interoperability of RCS in an all-IP world. (Operator Interest Groups [OIGs] drive agile specification development – to join an OIG, you must be a GSMA member. Click here to explore the active groups.)
Find supporting resources on the All-IP Business Guide
For more support from the GSMA on Advanced Communications, access the All-IP Business Guide.
Read more about RCS in FAQs.