GSMA APAC 5G FORUM Virtual Roundtable: Importance of Consumer Services in 5G Commercial Deployment
Since the first launch of commercial 5G networks in 2019, rollouts are gathering pace with mobile operators launching 5G services around the world. As the first step to 5G commercial deployment, MNOs start with the consumer sector by providing fast, immersive and interactive eMBB based 5G services to enhance the user experience. With attractively priced 5G service bundles, MNOs are successfully migrating existing customers to 5G whilst also increasing the APRU and opening up new revenue opportunities in collaboration with ecosystem players.
The GSMA APAC 5G Forum Virtual Roundtable “5G FOCUS: Importance of Consumer Services in 5G Commercial Deployment” was successfully held on Thursday, 6th of August 2020 from 14:00 to 16:00 (GMT+8, HKST) with more than 80 senior executives from the mobile industry and digital ecosystem attended and collaborated. The following topics were discussed in this event:
- Importance of the consumer services in the initial deployment of 5G services
- Innovative, viable and sustainable consumer services deployed by pioneer MNOs (Interactive/immersive media & broadcasting, VR/AR, eSports, e-gaming, etc.)
- Importance of collaboration with ecosystem players to provide attractive propositions to maximize consumer sector revenues
- Consumer 5G services as a stepping stone to preparing for enterprise and vertical-specific 5G services
- Reasons and motivation behind driving solo 5G deployment in fast-growing countries
The panel discussion session included MNOs’ executives from the APAC 5G Forum Community, executives from Microsoft and Facebook, and leaders from the digital ecosystem in the APAC region.