The role of telecommunications in the changing digital landscape of India
An Industry Roundtable was hosted by Mats Granryd, Director general of the GSMA, at The Imperial Hotel, New Delhi on 31st January. The roundtable with the topic “The role of telecommunications in the changing digital landscape of India” had engaging discussion on infinite possibilities with the launch of 5G in India and conversation to be continued for further collaboration.
Apart from the Mobile Network Operators, a few senior leaders were invited from the extended industry ecosystem players to participate in the discussion:
- Technology giants Microsoft, Cisco, Dell, Amazon
- Chipmakers like Intel, Qualcomm, NXP
- Passive component makers like STL
- Active equipment makers like Ericsson
- Global System Integrators like Tech Mahindra, Kyndryl, HCL Tech
- Ecommerce players like Flipkart (Walmart)
- Tower company like ATC
- Consultancy firms like Accenture and EY
The roundtable was focused on leveraging technology for better business outcomes. The deliberations were around how 5G will begin with enterprise use cases before it catches up with the consumers, how 5G will enable new business models which may not be very apparent today just like the early days of 4G, and how MNOs need to be patient for 5G services to start generating additional revenues. The roundtable opened up diverse views on how latest available technologies can help in developing new business models and improve the way we do business and live our lives.