The GSMA engages with our members on climate action issues through our Climate Action Taskforce.
The taskforce has more than 60 operator groups as members from all regions of the world. The GSMA and the taskforce are working together to move the mobile industry towards Net Zero carbon emissions by 2050 at the latest.
The taskforce does the following:
- Promotes and encourages leadership on climate action to move the industry towards Net Zero carbon emissions by 2050
- Agrees on climate policy frameworks and advocacy engagement to gain support from governments and other stakeholders for a fair and equitable Net Zero transition
- Shares best practices on climate action so operators support each other to raise their ambition
- Creates thought leadership and research on how mobile technologies support climate mitigation and adaptation
The full taskforce has regular virtual meetings every six to eight weeks, with specific project meetings on climate action topics as required.
The climate action topics focused on are:
- Improving energy efficiency in networks and buildings
- Increasing access to, and use of, renewable electricity
- Engaging with mobile industry suppliers on climate action
- Improving the environmental sustainability of mobile devices and equipment
- Adapting infrastructure and managing extreme weather events in a rapidly changing climate
- Using mobile connectivity to reduce carbon emissions through smart technologies
To join the taskforce please contact us