Sateliot joins the GSMA in promoting the democratization of the IOT through satellite technology

Wednesday 9 Sep 2020 | Associate Member | Member Press Release | Member Resources |

  • Currently, only 10% of the earth’s surface has mobile coverage
  • It will provide an extension of coverage to operators so that they can offer IOT services where terrestrial networks do not reach

Sateliot, the first satellite telecommunications operator that will provide global and continuous connectivity to all the elements that will make up the universe of the Internet of Things (IoT) under a 5G architecture, has joined as a member of the GSMA precisely to promote the democratization of the IOT through satellite technology.

According to the company, only 10% of the earth’s surface has mobile coverage, while the remaining 90% does not. That is where the infrastructure designed by Sateliot to guarantee a massive connection to the entire territory comes into play.

Specifically, the company plans to launch from this year a constellation of up to 100 nanosatellites that will function as cell towers from space, providing an extension of coverage to mobile operators so they can offer internet services of things where terrestrial networks do not reach.

Likewise, this technology will provide practically real-time monitoring services in sectors such as maritime, railway, aeronautical, automotive, oil and gas exploitation, electricity, critical infrastructure, agro-technology, logistics and transport of goods or the environment.

These nanosatellites in which Sateliot works are the size of a microwave oven and, weighing around 12 kg, will be located at low altitude – barely 500 km from the Earth, compared to the large geostationary devices that orbit 36,000 km away.

The company believes that the Internet market for things with satellite connectivity will offer ample potential in the coming years. In fact, according to estimates by Riot Research, this market will move more than 5.4 billion euros in 2025. In addition, forecasts also indicate that the number of connected objects worldwide will reach 60 billion by then.

Sateliot already has the backing of the European Space Agency (ESA), with whom it has signed an MOU to advise on the development and implementation of the project. It is working with this agency on the demonstration of the service.

 

Sateliot is the first satellite telecommunications operator that will provide global and continuous connectivity to all the elements that will make up the universe of the Internet of Things (IoT) – such as the connected car or house – under the 5G protocol. Thanks to a constellation of nanosatellites of the latest generation, located at low altitude that act as mobile towers, Sateliot is the perfect complement to the large telecommunications companies by providing them with the necessary infrastructure where terrestrial technologies do not reach. More information on our website, Twitter and LinkedIn.

 

MORE INFORMATION:

Carolina Morales/Jennifer Correas

carolina@ioncomunicacion.es

jennnifer@ioncomunicacion.es

Tlf. 91 576 05 88
www.ioncomunicacion.es
@IonComunicacion

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this article/press release are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the approved policy or position of the GSMA or its subsidiaries.