- At #MWC18 #ConnectedWomen will release the new #gendergap figures and will examine the opportunities & challenges f… https://t.co/Vt5JHpi52D https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/967066713773756416
- With more than 22 million registered and 10.6 million active #mobile #money accounts, #Ghana is ripe for… https://t.co/ErpuiJholO https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/967051577524736000
- RT @GSMA: 3 days to go until #MWC18! Don't forget to experience the @mobileconnect demos for healthcare services at #GSMAInnovationCity, wh…https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/967014308575051777
- RT @GSMA: In this #CaseForChange story, learn how #mobile technology is helping to close the gender gap in India and give women a better ch…https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/967014266351087617
- #M4DUtilities grantee @CItyTaps is improving access to water for urban homes in #Niger through #smartmeters and… https://t.co/ntw1Cp21Oq https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/966982232035463168
Realising the opportunity for digitising agricultural value chains
The digitisation of agricultural value chains is emerging as a new opportunity for MNOs to drive rural growth through holistic agribusiness enterprise solutions. Moving beyond the provision of agricultural value-added services, holistic services include a combination of digital payments, digital profiles and track and trace services. They will eventually encompass IoT applications among many other use cases.
As an example, the inclusion of mobile money services (moving from cash-based transactions to digital payments into the mobile wallets of smallholder farmers) opens up a range of agriculture and non-agriculture related uses cases, from person-to-person (P2P), to bill and utility payments to credit and savings products.
An overview of the digitising agricultural value chains initiative
The GSMA mAgri programme is working with MNOs that are committed to driving the digitisation of agricultural value chains through holistic solutions. The initiative supports MNOs to identify country-specific opportunities for launching or scaling business-to-business (B2B) digital services targeted specifically at agribusinesses. We provide a range of support, from knowledge sharing, in-market research, partnership brokering and iterative service design.
We are interested in hearing from MNOs who meet the following criteria:
- Have prioritised the realisation of the agriculture digitisation market opportunity; and
- Seek support with scaling existing or launching new agricultural value chain digitisation services which are:
- Targeted at smallholder farmers via enterprise solutions for agribusinesses; and
- Designed for commercially viability and scalability.
Depending on the maturity of MNOs, agricultural enterprise engagements, the type of support available could include:
- Market and value chain opportunity sizing and value chain selection;
- Business case assessment;
- Pipeline of agribusiness clients;
- Pipeline of tech vendors for partnership;
- Support on customer adoption;
- Regular service performance review against success criteria;
- Clear roadmap for further service evolution;
- Benchmarking services against peers;
- Identifying gaps between client and end-user needs and your current offering; and
- Sharing lessons learnt from key markets through publications, case studies and webinars
We are accepting applications for engagement partnerships on a rolling basis. Please complete the survey below to be considered and we will be in touch.
If you are an agribusiness or tech provider and looking for an MNO partner, or have any questions, please email us at email@example.com.
This initiative aligns with the industry’s commitment to creating solutions that will support the delivery of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) 1, 2, 5 and 9.
The ability to prove one’s identity is essential to securing both rights and access to a number of ...Read more
This report written in conjunction with Gallup, is part of the GSMA’s ongoing commitment to assessing the ...Read more
Healthy Pregnancy, Healthy Baby – A mobile health service offered in partnership with leading mobile operators in Tanzania
Healthy Pregnancy, Healthy Baby (HPHB) is an mHealth value added service (VAS) that delivers pregnancy and ...Read more
In 2015, the GSMA Mobile for Development Utilities programme awarded an Innovation Fund grant to KopaGas, to ...Read more
Enabling rural coverage: regulatory and policy recommendations to foster mobile broadband coverage in developing countries
This report responds to the need of tackling the regulatory barriers preventing operators from extending ...Read more
With a global subscriber base that surpassed 5 billion in 2017, the mobile ecosystem has created a global ...Read more
#CaseForChange: Mobile service is bringing traditional farming into the 21st Century across Sri Lanka
Dedicated to the UN Sustainable Development Goals and connecting everyone and everything to a better future, ...Read more
While Indonesia has the fourth-largest education system in the world with over 50 million students and four ...Read more
Supporting our members to rethink agricultural digitisation: Key takeaways from the mAgri Field Focus Session
The GSMA mAgri team started 2018 with the ambitious mission of hosting our first Field Focus Session ...Read more
I am the proud mother of an 18-month-old girl. Whilst this title comes with an incredible amount of joy, it ...Read more