- RT @Briter_bridges: ✅#Fintech is one of the fastest-growing sectors in #Africa's #DigitalTransformation. ✅Over 2/3 of the #African populati…https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/1063485747993423874
- The GSMA’s new machine learning tool estimated mobile subscribers’ gender in Bangladesh with 80%+ accuracy. Join ou… https://t.co/D09HPnpbpB https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/1063465657625395201
- RT @Cvllr: 🍌 Another great announcement on the fundraising front from our #EAInnovationFund portfolio this week: @TwigaFoods in #Kenya has…https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/1063393353226743808
- RT @GSMAEurope: Tonight we will celebrate 🎉 winners of #HacktheGoals and exchange ideas about the future of Digital for Development 📱with @…https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/1063382860139294720
- Watch the full video in which @GSMA, @TelenorGroup, @SafaricomPLC and @UN_Women highlight how the #mobile industry… https://t.co/hlxE6UBWxu https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/1063377501643317248
The opportunity for digitising agricultural value chains
The digitisation of agricultural value chains is an emerging opportunity for mobile network operators (MNOs) to drive rural growth through enterprise solutions tailored to agribusinesses. Moving beyond the initial provision of agricultural value-added services (VAS) or bulk payments, holistic enterprise solutions might include a combination of digital payments, digital records and farmer profiles, content and track and trace services.
Enterprise solutions for agriculture also allow MNOs to leverage and grow the adoption of their mobile financial services and Internet of Things (IoT) platforms.
Moving from cash-based transactions to digital payments into the mobile wallets of smallholder farmers opens up a range of agriculture and non-agriculture related rural uses cases, from person-to-person (P2P), to bill and utility payments to credit and savings products.
An overview of the digitising agricultural value chains initiative
The GSMA mAgri programme is working with MNOs and agribusinesses that are committed to and investing in the digitisation of agricultural value chains through enterprise solutions. We support MNOs and their agribusiness partners in identifying country-specific opportunities for launching or scaling business-to-business-to customer (B2B2C) services optimising procurement from smallholder farmers. We provide a range of in-kind support, from in-market research, partnership brokering and iterative service design to knowledge sharing with practitioners in the space.
We’re interested in hearing from MNOs who meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Located in Sub-Saharan Africa or South/South East Asian markets; and
- Seek support with scaling existing or launching new agricultural value chain digitisation services.
For qualified MNOs demonstrating strong teams and willingness to allocate resources for product development, the GSMA offers a comprehensive package of in-kind support, including:
- Initial user and product design research;
- Value chain opportunity sizing and prioritisation (e.g. opportunity in coffee versus dairy value chains);
- Support with business case assessment;
- Support with identifying and building the pipeline of potential agribusiness clients;
- Partnership brokering and support in building the pipeline of technology vendors;
- Support with gathering customer feedback and identifying barriers to adoption;
- Quarterly service performance diagnostics and review against success criteria;
- Support with the development of a clear roadmap for service evolution;
- Benchmarking your service’s performance against peers in regional and global markets;
- Providing advanced access to the latest insights through tailored consultancy, publications, case studies and webinars.
Although our MNO engagement resources are committed for 2018, we are keen to hear from MNOs who have prioritised the mobile agriculture opportunity and/or are interested in future rounds of engagement.
Interested MNOs can get started by completing the capability assessment questionnaire below.
If you are an agribusiness or tech provider in this space and looking for an MNO partner, or have any questions, please email us at email@example.com. This initiative aligns with the telecom industry’s commitment to creating solutions that will support the delivery of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) 1, 2, 5 and 9.
In emerging markets, there is a significant gap in access to water and sanitation services. Mobile ...Read more
In delivering mobile coverage to rural areas, one of the most significant expenses that operators face in ...Read more
‘Transforming Women’s Lives with Mobile’: A Panel Discussion Hosted by the GSMA at UNGA 2018. A ...Read more
The Instant Payment Notification (IPN) Hub is an industry utility created by the GSMA to enable ecosystem ...Read more
Since April 2017, the GSMA mAgri programme has shifted its strategic direction. From supporting the launch ...Read more
This blog was co-authored by Mariana Lopez and Abbie Phatty-Jobe. We were honoured to join governments, the ...Read more
From pay-as-you-go solar to pay-as-you-go smartphones and cookstoves: Insights from VITALITE, Zambia
VITALITE received a grant from the GSMA Mobile for Development (M4D) Utilities Innovation Fund in October ...Read more
Ecosystem Accelerator Innovation Fund Round 3: Findings from the top Asia Pacific start-ups applications
Since its launch in 2016, the Ecosystem Accelerator programme has sought to bridge the gap between mobile ...Read more