Creating scalable, engaging mobile solutions for agriculture
A study of six services in the mAgri mNutrition portfolio
For the last three years, the GSMA mAgri programme has been working with six mobile network operators (Airtel Malawi, Dialog Sri Lanka, Grameenphone Bangladesh, Ooredoo Myanmar, Telenor Pakistan and Vodafone Ghana) to support the launch and scale of agricultural services.
Some of our key findings:
- User-centric research found that information was the key gap for farmers in every market.
- Leveraging findings from user experience design, business intelligence, and customer feedback, the product teams developed content services that had cumulatively registered more than five million users worldwide in May 2017.
- Sixty percent of users globally were active in December 2016. This is an unprecedented level of engagement compared to similar services we have worked with in the past.
- Across the board, users were more likely to make on-farm changes in at least one area compared to non-users. In certain cases, we found evidence of increased income and crop production attributed to the services.
- Service users cite their mobile phones as a key source of agricultural information.
Our report, ‘Creating scalable, engaging mobile solutions for agriculture’, provides analysis and key findings on the set-up and implementation of the project and the design and impact of the services, with key considerations for existing service providers or those launching a new service. We also provide six case studies for a comprehensive snapshot of each service.
The deployment of digital solutions in the so-called last mile of agricultural value chains allows ...Read more
Use of digital tools in the last mile of agricultural value chains allows agribusinesses to optimise ...Read more
The GSMA mAgri programme hosted a webinar to present the opportunity in agricultural value chain digitisation ...Read more
Mobile technology can drive efficiencies in the so-called agricultural last mile for agribusinesses and help ...Read more
A study of six services in the mAgri mNutrition portfolio For the last three years, the GSMA mAgri programme ...Read more
Supporting our members to rethink agricultural digitisation: Key takeaways from the mAgri Field Focus Session
The GSMA mAgri team started 2018 with the ambitious mission of hosting our first Field Focus Session ...Read more
Key stakeholders are coming together to digitise the last mile of agricultural value chains in Ghana
As part of a series of three country-focused reports that highlight pathways to digitising the last mile of ...Read more
Climate change has made weather patterns harder to predict and extreme events such as droughts and floods ...Read more
Last month, our mAgri team was in Bogotá, Colombia where it held a workshop on the opportunity to digitise ...Read more
For those of you who have been following the mAgri programme’s journey over recent months, you will ...Read more