Creating scalable, engaging mobile solutions for agriculture
A study of six services in the mAgri mNutrition portfolio
For the last three years, the GSMA mAgri programme has been working with six mobile network operators (Airtel Malawi, Dialog Sri Lanka, Grameenphone Bangladesh, Ooredoo Myanmar, Telenor Pakistan and Vodafone Ghana) to support the launch and scale of agricultural services.
Some of our key findings:
- User-centric research found that information was the key gap for farmers in every market.
- Leveraging findings from user experience design, business intelligence, and customer feedback, the product teams developed content services that had cumulatively registered more than five million users worldwide in May 2017.
- Sixty percent of users globally were active in December 2016. This is an unprecedented level of engagement compared to similar services we have worked with in the past.
- Across the board, users were more likely to make on-farm changes in at least one area compared to non-users. In certain cases, we found evidence of increased income and crop production attributed to the services.
- Service users cite their mobile phones as a key source of agricultural information.
Our report, ‘Creating scalable, engaging mobile solutions for agriculture’, provides analysis and key findings on the set-up and implementation of the project and the design and impact of the services, with key considerations for existing service providers or those launching a new service. We also provide six case studies for a comprehensive snapshot of each service.
A study of six services in the mAgri mNutrition portfolio For the last three years, the GSMA mAgri programme ...Read more
A new opportunity is emerging for mobile money service providers to drive growth in rural areas by digitising ...Read more
The GSMA mAgri Programme is more than half way through our mNutrition Initiative where we have partnered with ...Read more
The IFFCO Kisan app is one of the pioneering mobile agriculture apps in India, offering to smallholder ...Read more
In the developing world, the availability of localised, granular weather forecasts can provide immense value ...Read more
The mAgri team have developed expertise in examining usage data and user feedback surveys to interpret how ...Read more
Our most recent publication, “Creating scalable, engaging mobile solutions for agriculture”, is the ...Read more
This is a guest blog by Jenny Rafanomezana, CEO, TruTrade Africa, and Ronald Rwakigumba, Agri-Fin Mobile ...Read more
Since 2014, the GSMA mAgri programme has been working closely with six mobile network operators (MNOs) across ...Read more
Mobile technologies are increasingly becoming ubiquitous across the developing world: out of the 4.8 billion ...Read more