- RT @YiaThe: Honoured to have participated in a fantastic workshop hosted @WFPInnovation by @Refugees @Accenture & @ID2020 on the value of #…https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/932125828644769792
- In the LAC region, the number of markets with mobile money more than doubled in the last 5 years. Read the report:… https://t.co/76sFVFiIqF https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/931507524767043584
- Smart Snehidi from @VodafoneIN and @HiHInt offers loans with low IRs to make #smartphones more affordable in India.… https://t.co/oMzEOuwGT9 https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/931446906957508608
- Our @TeganPalmer from the #mAgri team talked to @FightPoverty about how supporting corporate social innovation can… https://t.co/EEFOLAab8X https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/931205421314035712
- RT @GSMA: Submitting an entry for the Global Mobile Awards 2018? In this video, find out what the #GMA18 judges are looking for in an appli…https://twitter.com/GSMAm4d/status/931182216813731841
Mobile for Development Utilities Programme
Unlocking access to essential utility services through mobile
Our mission is to unlock commercially sustainable business models that leverage mobile to deliver affordable and improved energy, water and sanitation services in emerging markets.
In emerging markets, many people cannot access basic utility services that are essential to life. The reach of mobile connectivity is greater than the reach of basic utility services, such as electricity and improved water and sanitation services.
The Mobile for Development Utilities Programme promotes the use of mobile networks, infrastructure and payment systems to open new pathways for affordable and reliable utility services to reach the underserved. These innovations for service delivery boost industry and economic growth, for example by enabling entrepreneurial phone charging services in remote areas, or reducing water service providers’ losses from water leakage or uncollected bills.
M4D Utilities seeks to drive the use of mobile to improve or increase access to basic utility services through the following activities:
- The M4D Utilities Innovation Fund
- Knowledge sharing and convening
- Technical advisory to mobile operators
- Market building
This initiative is currently funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID), and supported by the GSMA and its members.
Sanergy: Exploring the use of mobile-enabled sensors to optimise sanitation waste collection in Kenya
In 2015 Sanergy was awarded an Mobile for Development (M4D) Utilities grant with SweetSense to install GSM ...Read more
In May 2015, the GSMA Mobile for Development (M4D) Utilities programme awarded Gham Power a grant to expand ...Read more
In January 2014, Easypaisa was awarded a Seed grant to trial the sale of 125 solar home systems in Pakistan. ...Read more
Sanitation remains ones of the most complex challenges facing emerging markets, and is compounded by ...Read more
In February and July 2017, we re-opened calls for applications to the Mobile for Development Utilities ...Read more
Key findings from our 2017 application rounds of the Mobile for Development Utilities Innovation Fund
In February and July 2017, we welcomed applications for the third and final phase of our Mobile for ...Read more
Innovating through mobile to improve access to water and sanitation – our experiences at World Water Week
It’s around 7.30 am on Tuesday, 29 August, in Stockholm, Sweden. I’m having my breakfast downstairs in ...Read more
This blog was written by Caroline Sheldon, former Market Engagement Manager for Mobile for Development (M4D) ...Read more