Keeping customers connected without a mobile signal
What is VoWi-Fi?
VoWi-Fi simply stands for voice over (EPC-integrated) Wi-Fi. VoWi-Fi is a complementary technology to VoLTE and utilises IMS technology to provide a packet voice service that is delivered over IP via a Wi-Fi network. Where possible, VoLTE calls may be seamlessly handed over between LTE and Wi-Fi and vice versa. Conversational video is also possible via Wi-Fi (see ViLTE).
Who is VoWi-Fi valuable for?
- Operators; and
What are the benefits of VoWi-Fi?
Both end users and those in the mobile industry will benefit from Voice over Wi-Fi.
- Can make calls without the need for a mobile signal (e.g. in a remote location or in a property with thick walls);
- Benefit from security being based on SIM-based authentication as for VoLTE; and
- Experience better indoor coverage.
- Unlock revenue opportunities;
- Leverage existing SIM-based security and authentication as for VoLTE;
- Gain the opportunity to access IMS-based services via Wi-Fi access;
- Issue a single bill for the user for all IMS-based services across different access types;
- Ensure ongoing relevance with customers;
- Gain competitive advantage; and
- Benefit from voice/video telephony services provided by IMS and the MMTEL application server as for VoLTE/ViLTE.
What is the GSMA doing to help in relation to VoWi-Fi?
We are working with the mobile industry to help operators realise the benefits of, and to effectively adopt, all-IP VoWi-Fi as part of their core services.
To learn more, explore the All-IP Business Guide
The GSMA’s All-IP Business Guide will direct you to lots of valuable resources on implementing, and maximising the potential of, Advanced Communications.