CLT18 to gear up in April at Colombia preparatory meeting for Latin American Telecommunications Congress in Cuba
March 21, 2018
- The preparatory meeting (CLTx) will be held on 20 April in Cartagena, co-located with the Sixth Ministerial Conference on the Information Society in Latin America and the Caribbean.
- CLTx will be a warm-up for Latin American Telecommunications Congress 2018 in Varadero, Cuba, from 11 to 15 June.
- The meeting will address key points of discussion ahead of CLT to gather opinions and content proposals for inclusion in the agenda. The main topics of the plenary session are now available online.
CLTx paves the way for Latin American Telecommunications Congress 2018
The key event for the future of Latin America’s digital ecosystem is gearing up. Due to the high level of interest in taking part in CLT18, the organising committee will provide an exceptional opportunity for discussion ahead of the congress in Cuba. Known as CLTx, the preparatory event will take place on 20 April in Cartagena, Colombia, and will be co-located with the Sixth Ministerial Conference on the Information Society in Latin America and the Caribbean, hosted by ECLAC.
The preparatory meeting will be held in the Cartagena Convention Centre (Hotel y Centro de Convenciones las Américas) on 20 April, starting at 9:00 am. Attendees will address key points ahead of the Varadero event to gather opinions and content proposals for inclusion in the agenda. CLTx is supported by ECLAC and the Government of Colombia.
Registration to attend the run-up to CLT is now available online here. Registration entitles attendees to take part in the open sessions of the Ministerial Congress.
Latin American Telecommunications Congress (CLT) makes Cuban debut
The key discussion topics of the eight panels and three flash sessions of the CLT18 plenary session have been announced. The event will be an opportunity to discuss the development of the digital economy in Latin America, public policy to drive innovation and competition in the age of convergence, and new mechanisms of investment in broadband infrastructure.
The eight panels are expected to address the following topics:
- New financing mechanisms to expand broadband networks
- eLAC2020 Agenda: Generating digital spillovers
- Model regulatory framework for convergence
- ICT for SDG #ICT4SDG
- Focus on internet governance from Hispanic America
- Access and innovation in the internet – Growth and economic development strategy
- The value of spectrum in processes to digitise economies
- EU-LATAM collaboration in developing the digital economy
This year’s event will also include three flash sessions to address the following questions:
- Competition in the digital age – market structures and infrastructure development in Central America
- The role of satellite in the 5G ecosystem
- Overview of the digital economy in Latin America and the Caribbean
The four-day agenda of the regional meeting includes side seminars and meetings in a busy week of activities for the regional ICT industry: CPR LATAM and workshops organised by various organisations.
CLT18 is jointly led by the United Nations International Telecommunication Union (ITU), CAF -Development Bank of Latin America, Inter-American Association of Telecommunications Companies (ASIET), the GSMA (worldwide association of the mobile ecosystem) and other global organisations. Cuba’s Ministry of Communications and the national Telecommunications Company (ETECSA) are hosting the event, with last year’s host, Colombia, as guest country. The Congress will once again have the support of internet organisations, including ICANN, Internet Society and LACNIC.
For more information and registration of participants, please visit the official website of the event http://www.clt.latBack