ViLTE (Video over LTE)
|Gaining competitive advantage with Video over LTE|
What is ViLTE?
ViLTE stands for video over LTE. It’s an extension of VoLTE, which enhances voice services with a high-quality video channel.
ViLTE is conversational – that is person-to-person – video service, based on the IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS) core network. It has specific profiles for the control and media planes of the video service. Conversational video is also possible via EPC-integrated Wi-Fi – see VoWi-Fi.
To deploy ViLTE, Voice over LTE (VoLTE) is required. It is also advisable to combine ViLTE with RCS to provide the best service offering for consumers.
Who is ViLTE valuable for?
- Network vendors
What are the benefits of ViLTE?
Both end-users and those in the mobile industry will benefit from ViLTE.
- Benefit from security founded on SIM-based authentication as for VoLTE
- Take advantage of video telephony services, which are provided by IMS and the MMTEL application server as for VoLTE
- Have a single bill for all IMS-based services
- Enjoy an enriched experience of mobile telecommunications (point-to-point and multi-party video calls)
- Unlock revenue possibilities
- Leverage existing SIM-based security and authentication as for VoLTE
- Have the opportunity to access IMS-based services for video telephony
- Can issue a single bill for the user for all IMS-based services
- Ensure ongoing relevance with customers
- Gain a competitive advantage
- Offer financial opportunities for stakeholders across the mobile industry
- Benefit from an industry-agreed progression in voice services (i.e. point-to-point video calls and multi-party video conference calls)
What is the GSMA doing to help with to ViLTE?
The GSMA works to:
- Reduce fragmentation and complexity
- Enable Interconnect and Roaming
- Provide stakeholder support across the industry
- Provide thought leadership
Discover more about video over LTE
Uncover further information on ViLTE by exploring the GSMA’s valuable resources: