Messaging as a Platform
What is Messaging as a Platform?
Messaging as a Platform (MaaP) is the evolution of mobile messaging, increasing and improving the ways in which people and businesses communicate. MaaP provides brands with the opportunity to increase their engagement with customers by making use of business (A2P) messaging using chatbots and artificial intelligence (AI).
User adoption is simple and straightforward. There is no longer a need to download multiple apps; instead, users gain direct access to a range of brands and services from within the messaging app itself, allowing them to engage with virtual assistants to book flights, buy clothes, make restaurant reservations and more.
How will you benefit from MaaP?
MaaP is an opportunity for operators to reshape and revitalise their messaging services and play a central role in the future of IP-based messaging.
The GSMA estimates that the user base for major IP messaging services will exceed four billion by the end of the 2017 – that’s a larger user base than the entire social media market. What’s more, by 2021 the RCS A2P Messaging market will be worth an estimated USD$74 billion, representing a key revenue opportunity for MNOs.
MaaP provides the opportunity for operators to grow revenue by enhancing their A2P business to offer new capabilities and shares in the revenue generated by new business paradigms such as AI, chatbots and in-chat search.
9 Key Principles for MaaP
The following nine principles are essential to ensuring trust in Advanced Messaging as the communications platform of choice.
- Openness: Universal access for customers and partners will ensure all participants can contribute to and enjoy a competitive marketplace.
- Innovation: Increased competitiveness of new and existing services based on messaging will enable innovative new products to be brought to market.
- Reach: The value of the global MNO user base will be realised, where any chatbot can reach any advanced messaging user.
- Quality: Messaging performance and partner applications and interactions must adhere to the highest standards respecting customer preferences and privacy.
- Protection: MNOs will retain the ability to control access to its customers and maintain adherence to standards.
- Reward: Parties in the ecosystem, such as MNOs and partners, will share the rewards according to contributed value.
- Value: Commercial agreements will underpin access to MNO MaaP.
- Transparency: It will be ensured that participants in the value chain have visibility of the value flows and benefits accrued to each party.
- Privacy: Customer privacy and the value of the MNO customer base will be protected through optional anonymity.
Want to find out more?
To learn more about Messaging as a Platform, please download our latest eBook, Messaging as a Platform: The Operator Opportunity.