Digital Identity in Automotive
Digital identity has the power to enhance the automotive industry.
With the right framework in place, the automotive industry could benefit from having mobile and automotive identities easily federated thereby opening up new opportunities across a range of use cases.
Not only does this provide an elegant solution for in-car consumer connectivity, but also opens up innovative business models around car sharing in which a car can be easily personalised to the user on-entry.
As an example, users could easily use their existing subscription within the car to make and receive calls using their mobile phone number and obtaining data connectivity with their existing smartphone data bundle.
The GSMA is working on this framework and aims to ensure that it is extensible and can facilitate the wider use of a mobile identity across many other sectors and use cases (e.g., Travel and Hospitality).
Example use case
- Enable a user to easily bring their mobile identity into a car so that they can make use of their existing MNO subscriptions for making and receiving calls and obtaining data connectivity using their existing data bundle
- Dual-radio module and eSIM (M2M and consumer) provided in the car at point of manufacture
- Back-end framework enables users to easily onboard to the service and use it in cars linked to their automotive identity
- Enables the mobile subscription and services to be used without reliance on the smartphone (e.g., battery constraints)
- Provides better integration of the subscription and services in the car infotainment system compared to a smartphone (mirroring)
- Removes burden of pairing/tethering smartphone to the car
- Enables re-use of a user’s existing data bundle
- Simple setup and usage of telephony services in-car
- Improves reception & data throughput within the car
- Creates clear separation between the connectivity provided for vehicle telematics/emergency services from that provided to the consumer for streaming content services etc.
- Supports car personalization across individuals within a household
- Provides a framework for managing usage of enterprise mobile accounts and corporate vehicles
- Supports future business models orientated around car sharing/rental by enabling a user to personalise a new car instantly on car-entry and move their mobile identity between cars seamlessly and easily