The SIM Working Group (SIM) is comprised of smart card experts from GSMA member organisations and the group guides GSMA’s SIM related activities where a common approach can create value for operators, service providers and customers. The scope of work includes a range of applications from access management to network resources to standalone transaction and identity management services. Such applications require a high degree of security, reliability and personalisation offered by modern SIM based platforms.
The SIM Working Group provides a forum for consensus building amongst all GSMA membership categories in relation to support and advice on the promotion, implementation and adoption of smart card technology and identity services. It also provides strategic guidance to GSMA projects on SIM matters and manages a programme of related activities, typically through sub-groups, set up for particular purposes.
The following work items within the SIM Group are currently being worked on:
- eUICC Protection Profile
- Remote provisioning SAS certification (Subscription Manager)
- Embedded UICC test specifications
- Embedded UICC specification update and maintenance
- UICC NFC specifications update and maintenance
- Development of a UICC NFC test book
What the SIM Working Group Does
- Facilitate the alignment of GSMA Operator and Associate Members to drive SIM technical and strategic matters for the benefit of the entire mobile ecosystem.
- Improve the features and quality of SIM based mobile services through information gathering and sharing.
- Identify SIM requirements and liaise with the relevant standardisation bodies.
- Co-operate with different GSMA projects and initiatives to provide expertise, contributions, coordination and support on SIM related matters.
- Monitor and provide timely information to GSMA Members on mobile identification and authorisation services, smart card developments, performance, quality and security issues.
- Identify and promote smart card adoption and evolution, preserving interoperability and compatibility, to support emerging services (e.g. personal identification and authentication, financial services, NFC, M2M, etc.).
- Act as the primary liaison point between GSMA and smart card manufacturers, application developers, operators and service providers.
- Maintain and enhance SIM related GSMA official documents and specifications.
The SIM Working Group have face to face meetings and are held four times a year, with conference calls used to progress work between physical meetings.
How to Get Involved
If you would like more information on any of the SIM Working Group activities please contact SIM@GSMA.com. If you are interested in contributing and attending SIM Working Group then please contact Membership@gsma.com to become a GSMA Member. Communications to the SIM Group, including liaison statements (from external bodies), should be sent to SIM@GSMA.com.