Engaging with the mobile industry on climate action
Climate change is one of the greatest threats humanity has ever faced and the mobile industry has a big part to play in fighting this global crisis.
- The mobile sector has worked collaboratively to create an industry-wide climate action roadmap to achieve net-zero greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 2050, in line with the Paris Agreement.
- Around 80% of the global mobile industry by revenue is now disclosing their climate impacts, energy and GHG emissions via the internationally recognised CDP global disclosure system.
- Over 60% of the industry by revenue has committed to Science-Based Targets to cut their carbon emissions rapidly over the next decade
- The mobile industry was recognised as one of the first Breakthrough industries and the GSMA as an Accelerator for the UN Race to Zero.
- Mobile for Development’s ClimateTech programme is furthering these efforts by encouraging even greater integration between digital technology and climate mitigation, adaptation and resilience strategies in low and middle income countries.