2015 State of the Industry Report on Mobile Money now available
Mobile money has done more to extend the reach of financial services in the last decade than traditional “bricks and mortar” banking has in the last century.
Today, GSMA is releasing 2015 State of the Industry Report on Mobile Money. Now in its fifth year, this report provides stakeholders with a comprehensive quantitative assessment of the mobile money industry for unbanked and underserved people.
Mobile money is reaching more than 411 million people globally. Moreover, it is available in 85% of countries where the vast majority of the population lacks access to a formal financial institution. This is an extraordinary achievement, demonstrating the power of mobile, underpinned by the critical role mobile network operators have played in building this industry.
However, while the success to date is to be celebrated, the future success of mobile money depends on the industry’s capacity to adapt to a changing landscape. The findings from the 2015 report provide insights on both current and future trends, giving better visibility on what is changing and how to adapt. This year, we see four key trends that will impact the industry’s evolution:
- With an increasingly active customer base, further development of the mobile money ecosystem will be essential to diversify customer usage
- Operational foundations and agent management remain critical to digitise cash
- Greater investment will be key for providers to compete in an online world
- While mobile money is reaching further than ever before, there is still an opportunity to reach underserved segments, particularly women and rural consumers
This report focuses on the state of the mobile money sector and industry trends, covering:
- Availability and spread of mobile money services globally
- Access to mobile money services, including both physical access through agent networks and technical access through the mobile interface
- Adoption and customer activity levels, particularly how mobile money providers drive scale
- Usage and how the industry is focusing on usage that builds the ecosystem
- Mobile money revenues and investment
Additionally, a forthcoming analysis on the adoption of other mobile financial services: mobile insurance, mobile savings, and mobile credit, will be released in late spring 2016.
Technology is changing the way we access a range of products and services, from viewing digital content to ...Read more
In this video series we hear from certified providers on what the GSMA Mobile Money Certification is, the ...Read more
The business models in mobile-enabled water services are fast evolving towards a promising future. Through ...Read more
We spoke to key players in the mobile money industry about international remittances, in the context of what ...Read more
Reflecting on World Water Week and introducing our new report on the key trends in mobile-enabled water services
Water scarcity is becoming the new normal. Access to freshwater is essential to life – and yet today ...Read more
We are on the cusp of the most profound change in the mobile money business model since the service was ...Read more
In our 2017 Edition of The State of The Industry report, we highlighted an increase in funds entering and ...Read more
We’re pleased to release the first in a series of insight papers exploring trends in the 2017 State ...Read more