NarrowBand – Internet of Things (NB-IoT)
NarrowBand-Internet of Things (NB-IoT) is a standards-based low power wide area (LPWA) technology developed to enable a wide range of new IoT devices and services. NB-IoT significantly improves the power consumption of user devices, system capacity and spectrum efficiency, especially in deep coverage. Battery life of more than 10 years can be supported for a wide range of use cases.
New physical layer signals and channels are designed to meet the demanding requirement of extended coverage – rural and deep indoors – and ultra-low device complexity. Initial cost of the NB-IoT modules is expected to be comparable to GSM/GPRS. The underlying technology is however much simpler than today’s GSM/GPRS and its cost is expected to decrease rapidly as demand increases.
Supported by all major mobile equipment, chipset and module manufacturers, NB-IoT can co-exist with 2G, 3G, and 4G mobile networks. It also benefits from all the security and privacy features of mobile networks, such as support for user identity confidentiality, entity authentication, confidentiality, data integrity, and mobile equipment identification. The first NB-IoT commercial launches have been completed and global roll out is expected for 2017/18.
Download the NB-IoT logo pack here.
What is the GSMA NB-IoT Forum?
The GSMA NB-IoT Forum aims to provide all industry and wider ecosystem stakeholders with market representation to accelerate the wide-spread adoption of 3GPP-based NB-IoT technology. NB-IoT is addressing the low power wide area IoT market opportunity using licensed spectrum with the intent to scale global deployment in 2018/19. The Forum Chair is Luke Ibbetson, Vodafone Group and Vice- Chairs are Madame Huang Yuhong of China Mobile, Daniel Herb of T-Mobile US and Jens Olejak of Deutsche Telekom.
What are the objectives of the Forum?
- Facilitate commercial launches of NB-IoT solutions globally
- Lead industry partners and the ecosystem to build a strong end-to-end industry chain for future growth and development of NB-IoT
- Drive and proliferate NB-IoT applications in vertical markets for new business opportunities
- Promote collaboration between all NB-IoT industry partners to ensure interoperability of solutions
How to join the GSMA NB-IoT Forum
The GSMA NB-IoT Forum is open to GSMA Members and Associate Members, however all members must positively contribute to the Forum’s high-level objectives, including promoting and deploying NB-IoT technology and encouraging new service and application development. Non-GSMA Members are welcome to join the Mobile IoT Innovators, at the bottom of this page, to help create a vibrant ecosystem and keep up to date with the latest information and events.
If you would like to join the GSMA NB-IoT Forum please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Current Forum Members
- Advanced Info Service PLC
- ARM Ltd.
- Asia Pacific Telecom Co., Ltd. (APT)
- Avea Iletisim Hizmetleri A.S.
- Bell Mobility Inc.
- BlackBerry Limited
- British Telecommunications PLC
- China Mobile Limited
- China Telecommunications Corporation
- China Unicom
- Chunghwa Telecom
- Cisco Systems, Inc
- Cloud 9 Mobile Communications PLC
- Deutsche Telekom AG
- DISH Network Corporation
- Emirates Telecom Corp-ETISALAT
- Emirates Telecommunications Corporation (ETISALAT)
- Etihad Etisalat Company
- Far EasTone Telecommunications Co Ltd
- Gemalto NV
- Giesecke+Devrient Mobile Security
- Huawei Technologies Co Ltd
- Hutchison Telecommunications Hong Kong Holdings Limited
- Intel Corporation
- InterDigital, Inc
- Irancell Telecommunications Services Company
- KDDI CorporationKT Corporation
- LG Uplus, Corp.
- LLC T2 Mobile
- M1 Limited
- MediaTek Inc.
- MegaFon PJSC
- Mobileum, Inc.
- NOS – Comunicações, S.A.
- Ooredoo QSC
- Oracle America, Inc.
- Qualcomm Incorporated
- Quectel Wireless Solutions Co.,Ltd
- Radiomóvil Dipsa, S.A. de C.V.
- Safaricom Limited
- Samsung Electronics Co Ltd
- Sequans Communications
- Sierra Wireless Inc.
- SingTel Mobile Singapore Pte. Ltd.
- SK Telecom Co., Ltd.
- SoftBank Corp.
- Spirent Communications
- Starhome Mach
- Syniverse Technologies, Inc
- Taiwan Mobile Co.Ltd
- TDC A/S
- Tele2 Eesti Aktsiaselts
- Telecom Italia SpA
- Telecom Personal S.A.
- Telecom26 AG
- Telekom Austria AG
- Telenor Connexion AB
- Telia Finland Oyj
- Telit Communications S.p.A.
- Telstra Corporation Limited
- Turkcell Iletisim Hizmetleri A.S.
- Two Degrees Networks Limited
- U-blox AG
- Verizon Wireless
- VimpelCom PJSC
- ZTE Corporation
To help build a vibrant ecosystem around licensed spectrum LPWA technologies, the GSMA has created the Mobile IoT Innovators community consisting of developers, device makers, network vendors, operators and end customers. Sharing interviews with industry experts, case studies, use cases and other valuable information, this community helps stimulate insights and innovation. To receive monthly briefings and enjoy other exclusive benefits, join the Mobile IoT Innovators now.